Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Finally Arrived! (with some snafus)

Let me preface this blog post with the following: 


The above was an eerily similar experience that I had today with none other than Delta Airlines. As I was going through check-in and security, I found everything going rather swimmingly. This is actually saying a lot about the situation, because normally when my family takes a vacation that I am a part of, something terrible happens. Not necessarily because of my presence (looking at you, Dad), but it's just a thing that happens. 

Well. The terrible thing did happen. As I was sitting waiting for my flight, Delta suddenly decided that I couldn't get on the plane because I needed to have a visa, because I was going to be staying longer than 90 days (which is the allotted tourist amount). Despite my explanations that my program was going to process visa extensions, they swore that I could not get on the plane without a visa (which is not true in the least, because I ended up talking to three kids who ended up on the same flight as me to Costa Rica, who didn't have any trouble at all). Long story short, I ended up with a ticket I'm never actually going to use and $200 less in my bank account. 

BUT. The good news is that I did eventually get to Costa Rica. HOORAY. 

Deltaaaaaaa! *shakes fist*


After the debacle about the visa, I ended up explaining to the immigration officer that I was staying past the 90-day mark because I was studying abroad. And his response was pretty much like “Yeah, okay.” Granted, I had to show him proof of my acceptance into the OTS program, but whatever. Easier to deal with than Delta was.

Anyways, customs went swimmingly. After that, I found the right person to meet, and then we eventually headed back to a hotel in San Jose. All of the people in my program that I’ve met so far are super nice. And additionally, everyone is clearly also just as nerdy as I am about the kinds of things that we’ll be doing in this program. We all agreed on walking around San Jose for a bit once we were settled in.

I know how awkward it must have looked for a bunch of college-aged gringos walking past the same block four times, but in the end, we made it down to the more tourist-y section of San Jose. Saw the Post Office Building, the National Theatre, and a bunch of shopping markets.  There also may be an appearance of us in a music video (? -I think that’s what it was…). All I know is that there was a band playing and then they artistically walked away down the street with a guy filming them with a camera, and I’m pretty sure all of us were in that shot. So look out for that five minutes of fame.

We also had the experience of exchanging some money at a local bank as well. I got way too excited about the colones bearing pictures of a shark and a sloth, respectively. There are some historical figures on the back of both bills as well, but clearly sloths and sharks are more exciting.


After wandering around San Jose, we returned to our hotel for some pizza and ended up meeting another professor of ours. She also seems really nice and very experienced about the world of tropical biology.  Finally, we  proceeded to crash in our hotels. It’s been a long day- but at least I’m finally here! I will post more pictures when the internet isn’t so spotty.

No comments:

Post a Comment